When you move into a fixer-upper and you’re starting from scratch on furniture, decor, etc. it’s hard not to want everything done immediately. At least, it has been for me. I try to have some home goals to keep me focused and tackle one project at a time, but patience is not my strong suit. And I try not to be too hard on myself when I don’t get things done.
This year, we completed quite a lot so far on my list including:
- Master bath renovation & master bedroom updates (flooring & NO MORE GUN SAFE)
- Removal of pine trees in the front/side yard
- Replaced most of the outlets in the living spaces and light switches
- Updated the kitchen faucet (not done when we redid the kitchen right after we moved in)
- Replaced worn wooden blinds in the dining room and kitchen with bamboo shades (these from Bed, Bath & Beyond)
- Painted & organized the main hall closet (this was my inspiration)
Of course, this leaves a million things still on the list. Hopefully, I can get through the below for this year (and if not, that’s ok!). I’ve tried to list in order of priority … but really, they are all on my priority list.
- Paint mailbox post & numbers; replace mailbox
- Finish redecorating the screened in porch
- Refinish vanity/side tables for master bedroom
- Finish TV wall & cabinet for living room
- Possibly update front porch with some existing decor/plants (maybe something like this)
- Add window boxes to front windows
- Explore potential costs/plans for landscaping and hardscaping (probably more long-term but would like to have a plan in place so I can figure out what we can do ourselves and what we may need to save for)
- On the non-fun list, we also probably need to get some siding replaced and take a look at a few of our gutters for potential repair
For 2016, I’ve got updating lighting fixtures high on the list, along with likely needing to paint the exterior of the house and the front door. I’d love to finish the master bedroom with some wall decor as well, but it needs to wait until I get the other furniture pieces in there. We’ll tackle the hall bath at some point, but we probably need a year off from major renovations!
As you can see, I don’t think I’ll ever run out of projects. This list doesn’t even include the guest bedrooms, linen closet, doors, laundry room and more!
What is on your list for the remainder of the year?