Well, it’s a new year and that means it’s time to set some home goals for the year ahead. Each year, I like to think through what I want to accomplish in the coming year. It helps me prioritize how I save money and where to focus my energy. Before we dive into new home goals, let’s take a look at 2017 and see how I did.
2017 Goals Review
You can view the full post for 2017 home goals over here, but below are the topline thoughts and progress.
- Finish the master bedroom: So close! I did paint the new nightstands/vanity. You saw the most recent updates in the master bedroom Christmas tour. I still need to hang the mirror on my side of the bed, but otherwise, this one is 98% of the way there.
- Update living room: Another one that’s super close. I shared our overall refresh, along with some tips for choosing a pet-friendly rug. I still need to pull the trigger on new chairs, but that’s coming. A decision has FINALLY (maybe) been made.
- Kitchen shelving: Complete! You saw a preview in the Christmas kitchen tour. Look for a full DIY coming soon.
- Guest bedroom makeover: Complete! This was my spring One Room Challenge. As always, those challenges are stressful, but it’s always so nice to have a complete room at the end.
- Outside landscaping: We made some progress, but realistically, this will be an ongoing project.
What’s on my radar for 2018? While I have a few room makeovers and updates planned, many of the big changes will need to wait for various reasons. There are some non-glamourous items that need to come first, likely a new furnace and replacing some very old retaining walls. That doesn’t mean I don’t have ideas though!
- Finish updating kitchen: You saw some updates this past summer, with new lights. Next up is to switch out the curtain rod and curtains, and replace the barstools. They are great Goodwill finds, but I’m ready for something I love.
- Spring One Room Challenge: After taking fall off, we’ll be jumping back in for the spring ORC! I’m keeping the room quiet for now, but I’m really excited about this transformation.
- Hall bathroom refresh: I was hoping this year would be the year for a bathroom renovation, but it will need to be put on the back burner. However, I’m going to do something about that tile one way or another. Time to see what DIY magic can be done in here.
- Outside landscaping: Still a goal for 2018, since we only made a little progress last year. One main reason the hall bath is getting pushed is to prioritize the outside. While the bathroom is functional, if not my style, the landscaping still needs some major help.
- Save more; buy what I love: This one will be tough! But, I have my eye on some more expensive purchases for the year (new living room chairs, bar stools, living room ceiling fixture). To make this work, I need to cut back on smaller purchases and use what I already own. This also means I need to stay far far away from Target.
What are your home goals for 2018?